[OM] Internet Security [was: iCloud security?]

Subject: [OM] Internet Security [was: iCloud security?]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:38:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Speaking of internet security, I just got around to installing TCPView and
the Proxomitron firewall into this Win7 machine.  I was surprised and pleased
to see that there are no instances of cloudfront.net or 1e100.net on this wifi
system, but amazonaws.com is still here, so I blocked it with a regular
expression in Proxomitron.

     In the past week I've learned that the Windows hosts file is somewhat
limited as it does not accomodate wildcards, meaning you have to put the entire
URL into the list.  This is a bit inconvenient for blocking intruders such as
cloudfront.net as they use a wide variety of servers, and after adding almost a
dozen into the WinXP machine hosts file I decided to tackle the regular
expressions used by Proxomitron.

     They turned out to be quite simple, though there are a few categories.
One category requires the entire URL, but the second one lets you use a wild
card for the first subdomain, which simplified things greatly.

>     I may have finally figured out how to block cloudfront.net with my
>Proxomitron firewall.  I just had to buckle down and figure out the
>rational expressions they use.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson