Re: [OM] computer to television via HDMI cable

Subject: Re: [OM] computer to television via HDMI cable
From: "John A. Lind" <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 16:34:24 -0400
Cc: "'John A. Lind'" <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Using an HDMI, it depends on how your TV is set up to upscale with same
aspect ratio using letter or pillar box if it's not the same as the TV,
stretch in all directions to fill without letter or pillar box (not
recommended), or just use the resolution it's fed with letter and pillar box
if needed. Using an HDMI cable is better suited for streaming video to the
TV, probably from DVD or possibly Blu-ray.

For still photos (aka slide show) and just getting the computer screen onto
the TV, you should us a DVI cable if your computer and TV have DVI ports, or
an analog VGA cable if it doesn't (you can get a DVI to VGA adapter). Then
treat the TV as if it's just a large size computer monitor. Would help
immensely if you know what the TV's native screen resolution is. Many of the
older and nearly all of the smaller (32" and below) are not 1920x1080,
they're 1366x768. They downscale 1920x1080 HD to the native 1366x768 (and
likewise upscale any 720 HD it's fed, which is used by some broadcast
stations). All my TVs are now true 1080, but had to scour the countryside to
find a NOS discontinued Sony 32" in that res for the master bedroom.

John