Re: [OM] OT: Hosts File

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Hosts File
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:41:04 +0930
On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 10:50:56AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
> On a website I discovered that Microsoft had made a very small change.
> Instead of following 127.0.0.1 with two spaces, they now require a right
> tab.  I suppose they did this to render all earlier hosts files as being
> ineffective.  Nice.

More likely they have decided to become more standard, tabs ARE the
traditional separator in files like this, after all...  :)

It *should* work with any whitespace delimiter, but the (default) file's
text header should explain what it expects in any event.

It's probably another one of those 'features' (spelt b-u-g-s) that make
up a substantial portion of these products.

I reckon you might have problems  editing whitespace with a
windows-based editor, in my (probably outdated) experience the search
and replace function will ignore spaces in the extry dialogs.  Many
years ago, I found a thing called 'djgpp' which provided some of the
tools that unix users take for granted, like sed and grep.  I see that
emacs is available for windows these days, too  :)  <runs for cover from
the vi nuts>

davidt