Re: [OM] A couple more [was Friday Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] A couple more [was Friday Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 22:30:22 -0700
On 4/3/2017 10:29 AM, ChrisB wrote:
It’s a good shot, Moose.

Thanks!

   -4.7, eh?

Oh, I suppose I should be more through in explaining. The subject was too high in Dynamic Range for the camera sensor system to capture it as the eye saw it. Even more, it was too high DR for any print and the vast majority of displays.

So a compromise has to be made. The one I made in the field was simple. I wanted the pure red flowers against a dark background. So I just kept cranking down the exposure until it looked about right. That made the background quite dark. The lowest exposure did what I wanted, holding the bright reds without clipping, against an almost black background. (This is a crop. There was more background affecting the AE than seen here.)

There are other alternatives.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Dynamics/DR&EV.htm>

The four exposures, unadjusted

A combined exposure image. In effect HDR, but blended without specific HDR software/plug-in. This is probably closest to an "accurate" reproduction of the subject. My memory is of somewhat darker background, but may have been affected by the vision of the image I already wanted to create.

The darkest exposure, with shadows pulled up. The DR of the camera is sufficient to make a pretty good overall image from one exposure. Simply pull up the background any further and the lack of color saturation doesn't nook right. I could go further, but that's too much like work - to make something I wouldn't much like.

My version/vision of the subject.

I’ll look at the over- and under-exposure displays in my cameras.

There's a lot of creative power there.

Confessional Moose