Re: [OM] Wifi and life

Subject: Re: [OM] Wifi and life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 12:43:59 -0700
On 4/8/2017 7:10 AM, David Thatcher wrote:
On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 12:05:01PM +0100, ChrisB wrote:
I don???t think that it???s about mobiles, David; it???s about home
modem-routers or gateways set to provide a WiFi connection to the LAN,
thence to the WAN.

Chris
This is true, but once mobiles went digital (GSM and later), it's all
packetised data over RF, just like WiFi. Basically it's intermittent
full power, not modulated like AM radio. With GSM, the power levels are
higher, but the flows are less consistent.

It approaches a distinction without a difference. Cellular voice service is rapidly moving to VOIP or something like it; Verizon (and others?) call it voLTE. Voice travels as data 'tween phone and antenna. The big carriers are spending big bucks moving to micro antenna distributed networks, at least some of which apparently don't even have conventional cell voice signals.

We have awful AT&T cell coverage here, I'm told, and weak Verizon, but our Verizon iPhones talk through our WiFi to Verizon servers and thence onto their cellular network. Works well.

It's all squooshing together.

Merged Moose