Re: [OM] Storm and Silos

Subject: Re: [OM] Storm and Silos
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:38:20 -0500
Nice, but risky.  The first is my favorite of the three.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 4/18/2017 7:52 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Three pictures.

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/250

Saturday evening, a storm was rolling through town, and just as it was
passing through, the setting sun broke out in an opening to the west.
The colors and light were amazing. I quickly grabbed a camera and
headed out the door. This grain elevator is about a mile north of the
house and I had just a few minutes to get the pictures before the sun
disappeared.

I used the Canon 6D for the shots, but had the OMZ 35-80/2.8 zoom on
it. Why the 6D? Well, it was getting dark and it happened to be the
camera most ready to go in the 5 seconds I had to grab something and
split.

The first picture was taken using live-view through the open sunroof
of the vehicle. Because of the gusty wind, I stabilized the camera on
the roof.

The second two were taken from a half-mile away down a gravel road
looking back at the same facility. For that, I shot through the open
side window. With lightning all around, I was a bit leery about being
parked directly under power lines, but I didn't want to get stuck in a
farm field.

Yes, Moose, they are a bit grainy, but the ISO was cranked up and I
further cranked up a lot of sliders in Lightroom.

It took about 50 shots to get the lightning picture.