Re: [OM] Flying high

Subject: Re: [OM] Flying high
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:00:38 -0500
The security personnel that forced the guy's exit are not United
employees. Once the situation escalated past the point where he
refused to cooperate with the cabin crew, he was in violation of
federal law and they handed enforcement over to security. There is
plenty of blame to be placed on United for evidently not trying hard
enough to entice people to take the money and walk off the plane. But
once the guy refused to cooperate with the crew, and then further
physically resisted the security personnel, they were well within
their rights to use any means necessary to get him off the airplane.

Actions have consequences. United's actions in not getting enough
volunteers off the airplane (and yes, crew transport does take
priority over customers) had consequences of forcing the issue into an
involuntary ejection of passengers. But this guy refused direct
orders. We are only seeing the videos of his being removed, but as
everybody was videoing, you know that this was escalating for quite a
while. Consider the fact that it takes a few minutes to get security
there too.

Like it or not, this is actually NOT an uncommon thing. I've seen
people removed from flights before we left the gate. We're so quick to
dump on United, and yes, they are guilty of creating the environment
where this happened, but flat out, this guy refused to obey crew
members direct orders and at that point he wasn't going to be staying
on the airplane no matter what.

Even on Southwest Airlines, anarchy is not tolerated.

Hmm. I'm reminded that Joel Olsteen's wife was ejected from a flight
for not cooperating with the cabin crew. Where is the outrage?

AG Schnozz