Re: [OM] Lightroom rendering speed question

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightroom rendering speed question
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:13:57 -0400
You can speed up how LR displays your photos by using Smart Previews.  Here
is what Tim Grey has to say about it:

"You can improve (often significantly) the performance of Lightroom when
optimizing photos in the Develop module by using Smart Previews (rather
then the source images) as the basis of those adjustments. To enable this
option turn on the "Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image
editing" checkbox on the Performance tab of the Preferences dialog in
Lightroom.
More Detail:
The Develop module in Lightroom makes use of the original image file as the
basis of the adjustments you apply. That helps ensure you see the most
accurate previews possible, but can also result in degraded performance. It
is possible, however, to use Smart Previews as the basis of your
adjustments in the Develop module, which will generally improve performance
(sometimes quite significantly).

The first step is to generate Smart Previews for all images you want to
work with in this way. You could, for example, select all images in your
entire Lightroom catalog and then choose Library > Previews > Build Smart
Previews from the menu to generate Smart Previews for those images. You can
also build Smart Previews as part of the import process by turning on the
"Build Smart Previews" checkbox in the Import dialog.

With Smart Previews built for your images, you could simply make the source
images unavailable to automatically make use of the Smart Previews. For
example, if the source images are on an external hard drive you could
disconnect that hard drive from the computer. Lightroom will then use the
Smart Previews in the place of the source images when you work in the
Develop module.

In addition, you can prioritize the use of Smart Previews in the Develop
module even when the source image files are available, in order to improve
performance. You can enable this option in the Preferences dialog, which
you can bring up by choosing Preferences from the Lightroom menu on the
Macintosh version or from the Edit menu on the Windows version. On the
Performance tab you can then turn on the "Use Smart Previews instead of
Originals for image editing" checkbox. Lightroom will then use the Smart
Preview (if available) within the Develop module, even if the source image
is currently available. Note that the preview may not be as accurate, but
performance will be improved."

This does work and previews seem pretty accurate to me.

Tina

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:43 AM, SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have noticed that there seems to be three stages when I am viewing a new
> image in lightroom on the macbook pro (latest and greatest version) first
> the image pops up then after a slight delay the colour changes as the image
> has the presets applied and then a bit later on it does the final
> sharpening (i think its applying lens correction) . I had been dismissing
> images because in my haste the final part had not been completed before I
> moved to the next, in the older LR version you could tell with activity
> monitor that LR had finished doing its business on the image - is there a
> way with the LR6 to see this?.
>
> I import images and then create a 1:1 preview automatically and don't do
> anything until this stage has completed so I am surprised at this behaviour
> anyway
>
> Thanks IanW
>

> --

Tina Manley