Re: [OM] Blue in Gold

Subject: Re: [OM] Blue in Gold
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 16:07:49 -0700
On 4/22/2017 8:44 AM, Don Holbrook wrote:
Beautiful photos!

Thanks!

Re the discussions on focus bracketing......any advice on choosing # of shots
and spacing vs subject?

Yup. The camera is doing some thinking for you, so it may be necessary to out think it on occasion. I believe the following to be correct. In any case, acting on them works:

The camera uses focal length, aperture and it's own DoF table to determine the distance between focal planes of exposures. You can further adjust this, without any certain precision, with "Set Focus Differential".

My experience (and that of Ctein) is that any setting higher than one invites waves of varying softness with distance that I really don't like. I suppose such a setting might be fine for web size or small prints.

With Focus Differential set to one, the depth of the stack - the area that will be in focus in the stacked/merged image - will vary with f-stop; smaller aperture = greater DoF = more spacing between slices = "deeper" stack. F5.6 is the best IQ stop for most of the lenses.

My experience is with the E-M5 II, so part of my 'advice' is based on it. Its buffer will allow about 12-13 shots in a second or so at higher shutter speeds. Go beyond that, and time between exposures becomes dramatically longer, because the buffer is full. I have a mixed bag of cards. I see that one body has a UHS 1 and the other a UHS 3 card, so this performance is probably somewhat different between them, but I've not measured it. (The E-M1 and 5 II bodies don't support the increased speed of UHS 3; I'm assuming the '3' cards perform in them at '2' rates.)

Reviews of the E-M1 II comment on the huge buffer, so it would seem any setting
up to 100+ slices would be speedy on it.

On my E-M5 IIs, I have MySets on Fn1 and Fn2, one for 12 slices, the other for 23*. 12 is always quick in decent light (12 1/20 sec. exposures take longer than 12 1/1000 exposures.) I usually go for f8-f10, for a deeper stack. The vast majority of my stacks are shot hand held, and probably a majority of those in conditions where the subjects may move, in addition to my movements, so exposures after the buffer fills can be problematic. When on a tripod, none of this much matters; set a deep stack and wait a few seconds longer.

23 catches the full depth of more things. But the deepest flower on Columbine in Blue II is softer than it could have been, with a deeper stack. Columbine in Blue IV didn't even need a full 12.

Other than the buffer problem, 'over' shooting is not a problem. Look at them in a browser and throw away any that go beyond the deepest needed for the subject. I have had some problems with catching the closest bit in focus. I now use for tripod shots, and focus slightly past-closer than even magnified MF shows. Hand held, I half-press, then move/lean back slightly.

The alignment process in PS deals quite well with the camera movement between frames that my hand holding introduces. As with any focus stacking, movement of parts of the subject can cause ghosting, often fairly easy to fix by hand, but time consuming.

Movement between subject and background make it fail. In a stack of a poppy moving in a breeze, PS chose to use the soil background as the subject to align, so the flower was all over the place. Sure, I was pushing the limits, how else am I gonna learn what I can get away with.

This may be more than I really know. ;-) I hope it helps. Actually, thanks for asking; I think writing it all down has clarified my own thinking.

In Deep Moose

* No, I don't know why 23, instead of 24 or even 25, it's just what I did. :-) I do know that I found 17-18 too often insufficient.