Re: [OM] OT - large format musings

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - large format musings
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:54:31 -0500
Paul, that's the problem that we renaissance men have. Too many interests.

The thought of scarfing up your camera has crossed my mind a dozen
times or three. :)  Not sure that there is a huge amount of wisdom in
that, but here is why it would work for me, and by extension, possibly
work for you:

1. 5x7 film is available. This is actually a rather important point.
5x7 lends itself to contact prints where 4x5 doesn't. I assume that
you either have the 5x7 back or one can be acquired.

2. 4x5 or 5x7 film is extremely easy to digitize. If you don't do the
contact printing routine, you can digitize and output to your favorite
digital printer of choice in whichever size you want.

3. Artistically different. Contrary to popular belief, the number of
pixels doesn't make m43 the same as or better than medium format, or
FF as good or better than large format. The way the lenses draw,
between these formats, is very different. This is especially true for
portraiture. But landscape photos look different. That said, it's an
odd thing, but my old Minolta A1 with a 5mp 2/3" sensor has a certain
look/feel to the images that give it a 4x5 look. I've never
encountered this look with any other digital camera.

4. Unique, different, classic. It's like fancy automobiles. While you
can always chase the latest/greatest and have the McLaren 675LT, you
will be disappointed the moment the 720s starts shipping and you won't
be one of the cool kids anymore. But if you show up in a 1972 Ferrari
Dino 246GT, it doesn't matter if the other cars are faster around the
track or not, you will be the coolest kid in town. For the SAME amount
of money.

5. You photograph differently. When you DO use it to make a picture,
you are making a statement. A statement about the subject and your
dedication to photographing it in an unique and potentially expensive
manner. Every time you click the shutter, it's a "Starbucks Latte"
without the rewards stars. Just think with me for a moment, how you
would photograph Robie House with this camera. You would photograph it
differently than you do with your Olympus hanging off your shoulder.

In other words, at this point this camera is either a hobbiest toy, a
collectible, or an artistic statement.

BTW, I never did get rid of my 4x5 holders. One of these days...

AG Schnozz