Re: [OM] Zeiss Luminar Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Zeiss Luminar Lenses
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 19:13:17 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx

. . .
<<The use of a very long zoom that is close  focusing to improve working
distance
<<bespeaks the lack of a long FL macro lens for MFT, though the former does
work
<<well.

<<<To be fair, the Oly 60/2.8 is 120 mm AoV eq., so as long or longer than most
FF
<<<macro lenses.

Agreed,  but the working distance is not equivalent to a 120mm lens--more like
90mm and at higher mags with the FL shortening that is not that great.
Dr. Focus kindly did the calculations at 1:1 for us before.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2013-09/msg00653.html

<<<<Aha, I thought so! Congrats! That's a good combo. I used it a lot a week
ago. If you are using it on the GM5, you should note that there have been two
recent firmware updates, one of which claims improved O.I.S. performance. On an
Oly IBIS body, it may not matter.

Yes, fun to have and I totally missed the newest firmware update to that lens.
(nose to grindstone waaaay too much)  The update seems significant best I can
tell from a few online evaluations.  I will update the cam and lens this
weekend.  The previous firmware cam update fixed an AF mode that I never use,
so didn't bother but better update the cam first.  Thanks for mentioning the
update!!

 I will have to get off my wallet next month for an additional  MFT body as
Mass in their infinite wisdom on 7/1 want to consider a cookie on your PC a
"physical presence" in the state and start grabbing taxes on all internet
sales---harummph.  Best to use the substantial resources more wisely.
I have some auditor patients who are independent of the state but hired by them
and I hear about the egregious  waste of resources beside the well known ones
that get into the news. Their recommendations fall on deaf ears.

Soon to be updated, Mike