[OM] IMGs: Mesa Stadium Connector Bike Route [was: IMGs: Another New Bik

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Mesa Stadium Connector Bike Route [was: IMGs: Another New Bike Route]
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 08:02:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     My curiosity about this new bike route:

http://mesaaz.gov/business/engineering/stadium-connector

got the better of me, so yesterday I drove over to the area and took a number
of photos.  I'd been using this street route for years so as to get around the
canal path closure where it passes through the Mesa Country Club.  The project
begins at Center Street, following the Tempe Canal to Country Club Road:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34612348885/in/dateposted-public/

     That portion of the project will pretty much remain unchanged, but at
Country Club things change significantly.  First, we're getting an improved
pedestrian operated crossing light:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34482053611/in/dateposted-public/

which provides a safer crossing to the bidirectional street-level bike path:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34612454695/in/dateposted-public/

the width of which is suitable for small cars, so removable steel posts are
added to prevent vehicle usage:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33769543434/in/dateposted-public/

     The path uses up an entire traffic lane, and even with the raised island
is quite generous:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34482125321/in/dateposted-public/

     The westward turn at Brown Road dies not require cyclists to stop, except
for pedestrians:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34612574555/in/dateposted-public/

     Brown Road bend to the south and becomes Date, and the bike path makes a
turn to the west on to 10th Street:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34571120546/in/dateposted-public/

     The plants used in the landscaping include specimens of the native Hairy
Grama (Bouteloua hirsuta) perennial bunchgrass:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33802608503/in/dateposted-public/

     The route continues westward along 10th Street through a residential area,
joining Alma School Road after three quarters of a mile:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34571188366/in/dateposted-public/

     The bike lane is feathered into Alma School at 9th street, with a couple
of adjacent street corner parks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33802658223/in/dateposted-public/

     The path continues along Alma School, dropping off into the Salt River
flood palin:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/34571214506/in/dateposted-public/

ending at the intersection with Bass Pro Road:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33802722443/in/dateposted-public/

You'll never guess what's at the end of that road.

     The path crosses Alma School and then travels along a seldom used canal,
which is still in the process of being prepared for paving:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33802725013/in/dateposted-public/

which eventually passes along the south side of the parking lot at the Bass Pro
Shop:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33802730383/in/dateposted-public/

as if you hadn't guessed already.

Chris