Re: [OM] IMg: Unknown Bird

Subject: Re: [OM] IMg: Unknown Bird
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 18:44:07 -0500
Hi Chris,

According to pp.96 of Birds of North America, you have a nice closeup of a Black-Crowned Night Heron. L 20", W 44".

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 5/15/2017 5:55 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      I admit that I'm not good at identifying birds, so you can understand why
I'm totally baffled at this one that I saw last Friday while cyling past a
riparian area:

      This is a fairly large bird, about 18-24" long.  The plumage varies from
a white breast to charcoal gray wings and cap.  You will notice that there are two
white tassels fro the back of the head and a pale yellow thingy beneath the beak.
The feet indicate that this is neither a water fowl (not webbed) not a bird of prey
(no talons).

      - Hunter S. Thompson