Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10 conversions to FC-10 flash controller, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] T-8 or T-10 conversions to FC-10 flash controller, anyone?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:35:39 -0700
> From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'd really love to have the fl-50 controls over a T8/10/20 flash. I would
> sacrifice a T Power Control for the socket, since I could still use all the
> T flashes. It is not that they are very expensive.
>
> So.. how do you do it?
>
> Is it just disconnecting the flash tube for the socket or does it involve
> more?

That’s about it.

Of course, the devil’s in the details.

We’re dealing with over 300 volts between two of the leads, continuous, whether
the flash is actually turned on or not. And when the flash fires, you’ve got as
much as 10,000 volts (but probably more like 6,000) between the third wire and
either of the other two. Use the appropriate HV wire, or there will be arcing
all over the place, probably frying the digital electronics in the process!

Not having either unit on hand, I can only speculate on the mechanical details,
which are going to be tougher than the electrical ones. But I think I’d remove
the FL-50 bulb completely to make room for the T Power Control socket, then cut
a proper-sized hole in the flash lens and epoxy the socket in place, since the
bulb and reflector take up a lot of space that will be needed for the deep T
Power Control socket.

They made the socket so deep for a reason: so there could be no chance of
anyone getting their fingers near 10,000 volts! The FC-01 sockets are similarly
deep.

These flashes are packed tight and can be tricky to disassemble and re-assemble
— let alone cram additional HV components in there! But if you want to preserve
the T Power Control functionality, I guess that’s how you’ll have to do it.

Of course, the FL-50 will never flash on its own again in this scenario. I
don’t know how you could possibly preserve its functionality, since 10,000 volt
toggle switches are hard to come by. You can’t simply wire the two flash tubes
in parallel, since only one of them will ever flash.