Re: [OM] More

Subject: Re: [OM] More
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 13:18:07 -0700
On 5/28/2017 6:33 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Those closeups are very nicely executed, Moose.

Thanks!

All are focus stacks, of one sort or another. The names give them away. Hyphenated names show first and last exposures that were stacked.

Most are focus brackets made by the camera. The number will vary, both from camera settings and from my dumping any exposures that go past the deepest part I want in focus. I've found that letting the far parts go soft makes some shots look more 'natural', or at least less like stacks. The second unfolding fern head is a good example. The DoF is actually much deeper than a single shot, but it's not obvious. I'm still learning.

_B007654-55croofm, is only two shots, made by hand, using slightly smaller
aperture and focusing on different parts.

Although not really close, _A001207-8croofm is also a two shot composite. The flowers are at different enough distances that conventional DoF can't make both sharp, although they seem so to my vision. I used PS to align the hand held shots, then used the flower and bokeh from one and painted in the flower from the second.

I've made 2-3 shot, hand held, stacks for some time, esp. before getting the ability to have the camera do focus bracketing for me. They can be quite effective for some subjects, and can be made with any camera.

Stacked Moose