[OM] IMG: For Bird Feeder Enthusiasts

Subject: [OM] IMG: For Bird Feeder Enthusiasts
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 12:53:35 -0500
Since I first put up a suet feeder for the woodpeckers, I have been frustrated by the swarms of starlings that are attracted, and who quickly gobble up the feed. I decided to frustrate the starlings. I first made a cardboard pattern, and then cut a shield from some scrap aluminum flashing. I suspended the feeder horizontally, with openings only on the bottom plus a few spots on the sides.

The woodpeckers are able to cling to the bottom and feed, but the starlings can't do this. They can reach some areas on the sides, but can no longer destroy the feeding block. They are now very frustrated.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170529-DSCF2130.JPG.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA