Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:44:35 -0700
> From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>     The T-10 is quite a beast.  I settled on a much lighter Vivitar 5000 some
> years ago.  It's a nice accessory, but still a bit bulky.

Say what? Are you referring to this?

http://ringflash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vivitar-5000-ring-flash.jpg

I guess it could be considered smaller/lighter if you also consider the
controller, but it seems unwieldy to have that big thing on the front of the
lens, instead of putting the heavy components on the flash shoe. I’ve always
thought the T-10 rather diminutive, but I admit, I’m ignoring the size/weight
of the controller.

I see two big advantages (and one little one) to the T-10 over the Vivitar
5000: 1) the T-10 has twice the output (GN 10 vs 5) and 2) it has TTL metering.

Double the output can be worth a lot of depth-of-field in macro! Or it could be
the difference between hand-holding a shot or not.

Also the Vivitar 5000 appears to only do flash-mounted sensor automatic output
control, which is useless with a bellows or extension tubes, which eat up two
stops of light for each focal-length of extension. On-flash sensors aren't
aware of extension, and it doesn’t appear to have any compensation you can dial
in to correct for extension.

How do you use the Vivitar 5000? Do you ever use it with extensions?

Not at all trying to “pull down the zippers and whip out the rulers.” Just
interested in how people do things. There are certain things I like under my
control, and others that I’d rather just let the camera/flash do for me.
Figuring out exposure compensation factors for lens extension is the sort of
thing they invented computers for. :-)