Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Article on Frankensteining OM-System T-10 and T-8 Ring Flashes
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:22:58 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Yes, that's the one.  And yes to the advantages of the T-10.  I don't use
the 5000 very often as it (and other ring flashes) is more suitable for very
close macro photography.  For fill flash, such as what's needed for flowers,
the built-in flash is usually adequate, and a small flash on a cord takes care
of the unusual situations, such as uneven lighting.

     The 5000 pretty much dictates that you support the camera by way of the
lens rather than the camera body, so a lens with a tripod ring is pretty handy.

Chris

>>     The T-10 is quite a beast.  I settled on a much lighter Vivitar
>>5000 some years ago.  It's a nice accessory, but still a bit bulky.
>
>Say what? Are you referring to this?
>

> http://ringflash.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vivitar-5000-ring-flash.jpg
>
>I guess it could be considered smaller/lighter if you also consider the
>controller, but it seems unwieldy to have that big thing on the front
>of the lens, instead of putting the heavy components on the flash shoe.
>I’ve always thought the T-10 rather diminutive, but I admit, I’m
>ignoring the size/weight of the controller.
>
>I see two big advantages (and one little one) to the T-10 over the
Vivitar 5000: 1) the T-10 has twice the output (GN 10 vs 5) and 2) it
>has TTL metering.

     <<SNIP>>