Re: [OM] The Swiss Experience

Subject: Re: [OM] The Swiss Experience
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 12:02:53 -0500
> It is said that Alexander Solzenitsen said, after a human rights conference
> is Geneva, that he couldn’t wait to get back to the Soviet Union, where he
> felt he had some freedom.

Freedom is messy. If you want to control the outcome, then it really
isn't freedom. All this anti-American (and anti-Trump) banter is about
this fact. When you give your population freedom, you don't always get
a population that looks or does what you really want them to do.

A good case in point is where your local municipality has enforced
ordinances over things like lawn care, abandoned vehicles, or zoning
requirements.  Compare those neighborhoods to the ones right next to
them without such requirements.

Same with voting. Those suffering from TDS (Trump Derangement
Syndrome), are actually more upset that they couldn't dictate the
outcome for us. I'm sorry, but that's not how freedom works. Go ahead
and be deranged, but I'm mighty glad that we have a system that allows
for us to do what we did. Fortunately, we have a bureaucracy that
prevents anything serious from happening as a result. It's a lot like
pushing against a wall. We elect presidents to push against the wall
one way or the other, but the wall really isn't going to budge. We
just feel better for trying.

AG (I gotta be me*) Schnozz

*I've got to be Me
Performed by Sammy Davis Jr.

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
I gotta be me, I've gotta be me
What else can I be but what I am

I want to live, not merely survive
And I won't give up this dream
Of life that keeps me alive
I gotta be me, I gotta be me
The dream that I see makes me what I am

That far away prize, a world of success
Is waiting for me if I heed the call
I won't settle down, won't settle for less
As long as there's a chance that I can have it all

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I've gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I've gotta be me

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
I can't be right for somebody else
If I'm not right for me
I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
Daring to try, to do it or die
I gotta be me

Written by Walter Marks • Copyright © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc