Re: [OM] Four thirds system advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Four thirds system advice
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:43:37 -0700
> From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I do not particularly want a 4/3 system.

That’s a good start.

> Micro-4/3 interests me but is
> not in my current plans.

If you are interested in adapting old film lenses to digital, I urge you to
consider some form of EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens)
camera, like the m4/3rds system. Sony has them. Fuji has them. There are
probably others. But Oly/Panasonic m4/3rds is currently the most extensive and
best supported EVIL system, in my opinion.

Moose has spoken highly of Canon EOS, which apparently has a register distance
between EVIL and full-frame, thus making adaptation simpler.

> I have some decent Pentax lenses & was
> looking for a body to put them on when I found this:

Meh. Those are not particularly interesting lenses. They don’t identify the
body. Looks like an E-5?

> He or she is asking $750 Canadian (a bit under 600 US)... I'm thinking of
> offering much less, probably $300.

$300 for something you’re not going to use is not much of a bargain. But a
budget is a budget.

I still have my E-3, mainly because it ain’t worth nuthin’. I use it to take
pictures of my frankensteined lenses and stuff on my OMD EM1.2. :-) It is a
fine camera, but just not as much fun as the smaller, more capable OMD
offerings. Adapted 4/3rds lenses work particularly well with the EM1.2, since
it has both contrast- and phase-detection autofocus. Other EVIL adaptations of
those 4/3rds lenses may have slow auto-focus.

The E system had all the drawbacks of m4/3rds (small sensor) and all the
drawbacks of full-frame (big, heavy bodies and lenses).

> Anyone care to comment?

For adapting lots of different lenses, EVIL is the way to go. I know you can
get OM --> 4/3rds adapters, but I’m not certain you can get Pentax ones. But
there is a rich selection of “anything” --> micro-4/3rds, including
enhancements like tilt, shift, speed boosters, etc.

If you don’t mind carrying around FF-sized equipment, I think $300 would be an
excellent deal for that kit. (Even better, in “Arctic Pesos.” :-) But with
micro-4/3rds, I can carry around SIX lenses and a body in a belt-pack all day,
and not be exhausted!