Re: [OM] Four thirds system advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Four thirds system advice
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:24:08 -0500
I'm sure it surprises no one here that I happen to be perfectly OK
with obsolete equipment. The "Olympus Living History Farm" is alive
and well.

Moose is absolutely correct that the latest/greatest m43 gear is the
way to go if you have no legacy equipment to support. I certainly
wouldn't steer anybody towards a DSLR at this point. Of any brand. EVF
has arrived and there is no significant advantage to OVF except for
some limited circumstances. Best of all, if you shop the sales and
acquire a recently discontinued model for reasonable prices.

My situation is obviously unique and my needs/desires are obviously
not mainstream. Yet, I think my approach of USUALLY staying a step or
two behind has afforded me several advantages, one of which is the
reduction in frustration of acquiring a camera that ends up being a
frustrating bag of bits that will drive you to drink. And of course,
the other advantage is acquiring some really top-notch gear at low
cost or by highly appreciated giftings. And I've been able to pass on
bits and pieces to others too.

I was able to pick up a high-mileage EOS-6D for a reasonable price and
have enjoyed certain aspects of the camera a lot. But for everything I
enjoy, there are at least two things that drive me nearly to drink.
Just as Moose seemed to struggle with the 60D getting shots that fit
his vision, I too struggle with the 6D getting shots that fit my
vision. Unlike the Olympus cameras, the 6D sees differently and
requires a lot more bit-bending to get where you want the images to
be.

If you want to use legacy lenses, live-view is certainly the way to
go. At this point in the game, there is no reason not to.

I absolutely love the OM system, and find it to have a characteristic
that the modern systems don't have. Refinement. The E-system almost
got there, but by the time it was starting to get it, Olympus pulled
the plug and let it die. Micro Four-Thirds is very close to a refined
system. The SONY system isn't. Fuji is close.

Personally, I want to get a couple of lenses for the 4/3 system and
eventually get a FF 35mm Digital body.

AG Schnozz