Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico"

Subject: Re: [OM] Science and Speculation [was "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" @ AGO in Toronto]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:30:39 -0700
> From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I think part of scientists' perceived weakness comes from the fact that
> science is on the ropes in this country because of the knob-knuckled morons
> that make up the Republican majority in Congress, not to mention our
> Idiot-in-Chief and a lot of really, really stupid voters.

Don’t hold back, Bob… tell us how you REALLY feel!

I just laugh. I doubt any of these people who doubts science would put up with
anyone doubting how THEY do THEIR job. And yet, scientists seem to be a special
target.

I do think the popular press and its sound-bite mentality lets us down. I
hesitate to criticize, since I can’t think of a way to report science in
today’s hyper-speed word that would convey the richness and depth of what goes
into modern scientific exploration. People have been falsely conditioned to
believe that if they can’t understand the entire thing in one sound bite, it
must be suspect. (And yet, they don’t apply that test to their elected leaders.)

That “Tom The Dancing Bug” comic that I just posted is so precious. I quote it
in a lot of threads.