Re: [OM] Still working on the details

Subject: Re: [OM] Still working on the details
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:48:01 -0700
On 6/29/2017 2:29 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Left Coast Moose wrote:
So we might be neighbors??
Probably not. The opportunity that I looked at there just wasn't
paying enough to offset the increased cost of living and income taxes.

Didn't really think so; just a little riff on where I would think is exciting,
vs. most of the places you are thinking of.

Truth be told, this is a wonderful place to live - if - you can afford it - and
- you don't have a commute.

I can afford it in part because I bought a little, two bedroom, one bath house in 1969 for $26,400 and moved across the street to a larger house when prices were depressed by 18% interest rates in 1981. There's been inflation since then and this neighborhood has gone up even faster. I couldn't buy in now unless I had a house of the same value somewhere else to sell. Then there's Prop 13, which keeps my property taxes much lower than on a new buy.

I was also lucky, working close to home; short commute, lots of alternative routes when something backed up. The last few years, I did have a longish commute, but it was one of the last reverse commutes in the area - and I started working from home more and more. Now, I have no commute! :-D

The other problem is getting out elsewhere. We live in a quiet, hilly, tree rich, low density heaven, separated from the rest of the world by endless stretches of people and often slow roads. Careful choice of when to go or come home is important.

OTOH, there are worse places. The LA-San Diego area is in a state of endless traffic problems, everywhere at commute hours, randomly distributed mid-day. All the ratings say it's the worst. They say San Jose is close, but one can get through SJ in the middle of the day pretty easily, which isn't true of LA.

I THOUGHT Seattle was awful when we were there last, and I see it's #3. Again, though, we could get around mid-day, but about 3 pm the hammer drops. I see Houston and Austin made the top (bottom) ten.

Lucky Duck Moose