Re: [OM] OM10D

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10D
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:26:24 -0700
On 7/1/2017 2:56 PM, Frank wrote:
. . .
Actually my wife has an e-m5 with 14-150mm and is happy with it. Less
weight and easier to get along then a two lens setup. You'll find them
quite cheap second hand, if you prefer. Actually I think the E-M10 mk II
has the E-M5 mk I stabilisation unit. Still good.

Well, whatever someone says. I seem to recall some noise about improvement at the time? Ah, yes, DPReview noted "Improved 5-axis image stabilization in both stills and movie modes" and praised it on the IS test page, but didn't comment on how it compared to the Mk I. My recollection is that other reviews also mentioned an improvement.

The proof is in the pudding, though. I used a 75-300 extensively with both, Mk. I, ~6,500 shots, 3,100 @ 300 mm and my Mk. IIs, ~4,600/1,860 shots with that lens. The Mk. IIs are noticeably better in practice.

To the people who prefer 3:2 ratio pictures to 4:3, I'd say look at the
classic artists, who had no prejudice for a technically dictated format.
Rembrandt
<https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio/artists/rembrandt-harmensz-van-rijn>,
for instance. For every 3:2 ratio painting they produced, they made at
least 10 more square ones....

As my images are seen most on the web, I am the same way, frame to fit the subject. Thus, I prefer the squarer format, a little.

The problems arise when I put images into books or mats for framing. For the books, I will sometimes re-crop at least a bit, but am not afraid of blank, black space, either. Trickier for framed prints, as it raises the cost.

The Rembrandt link points to a site of the well-known Dutch 'Rijksmuseum'
in Amsterdam, that has digitized all their art objects in high resolution.
You can download and use the files as you please, since they only show
objects where the copyright is no longer applicable or permission is
granted. Nice!

Nice, indeed! Thanks.

Stable Moose