Re: [OM] OT: A Close Call

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: A Close Call
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 07:39:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     That large red rectangular warning with the three options stunned me at
first.  For some time the connection was intermitent even though the signal
strength was high, so it may have been that the hacker was using a method
similar to what you've described here.  After the hacker took my advice and
left everything settled down.

>>      There had been a warning on the morning news about a new form
>>of hacking, where the wifi hub is spoofed and you're connected to the
>>hacker.  Cute.
>

>Ain't new. It's been around for a LONG time. But it is getting endemic
>to most public WiFi hotspots. On our last trip to Colorado, I found
>spoofers at both hotels and at one Starbucks. That was 100% of our
>hotel stays, and 50% of the Starbucks in just a four-day trip. I'm
>sure I would have found more at the other 9 Starbucks that we visited,
>but those weren't visits that used the WiFi.

     <<SNIP>>

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson