Re: [OM] death of a light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] death of a light meter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:26:27 -0500
I use/used smartphone app based meters as an alternate to the L-508.
They actually do a pretty good job. However, there is certainly a bit
of YMMV. One of the bigger problems has to do with the narrow dynamic
range of the phone camera sensor. It blows out easily and blocks up
the shadows easily too. And a big problem with trying to get accurate
spot readings in the highlights and shadows. In comparing the non-spot
readings (averaging) with the L-508 and the OM-4T, the smartphone
meter is reasonably accurate, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for
non-spot purposes in most lighting conditions.

Obviously, the L-508 has the ability to do flash metering and
multi-exposure metering. It also has the adjustable dome for ambient
readings. On three different phones, I've gotten three completely
different results with the ambient readings. Personally, I am not a
fan of using the phones for ambient readings.

The L-508 has a pretty permanent spot in my camera bag. Even shooting
digital, where you can chimp to your heart's content, I find the L-508
to be perfect for portraits as I try to get the mid-tone exactly
placed.

AG Schnozz