Re: [OM] death of a light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] death of a light meter
From: Christopher Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 21:02:39 -0400
The L-858 is the current model of Sekonic’s combination incident/spot
meter. Its a touchscreen, and I don’t like them either, but if I had the
$$$ I would buy the L-858 anyway.

I have the immediate predecessor of it, the L-758DR. The 858 adds
INCREDIBLE low-light capabilities. It can spotter down to EV -2 and does
incident down to EV -5. No spotter has ever been made that can meter such
dim light, and only a couple of incident meters have been made that can
meter down to EV -5.

The older L-758DR Does spot down to EV 1 and incident to EV -2. If extreme
lowlight capability is not important, and you really really hate
touchscreen, get an L-758DR. There are a lot of used ones available, and
you might find a store with a new one in stock, but the L-858 is actually
a little cheaper new than the L-758DR was!

If you shoot digital, the 758 and 858 can be calibrated to your camera’s
actual sensitivity and dynamic range, which is very nice. The 758 is the
best handheld meter I have ever used, and I have a big meter collection.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Like My Work on Facebook

On 7/11/17, 3:02 PM, "olympus on behalf of John Hudson"
<olympus-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf