Re: [OM] IMG: Takumar Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Takumar Images
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:49:37 -0500
I don't want to meet that one..................

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 7/12/2017 3:30 PM, Moose wrote:
On 7/12/2017 12:34 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Thanks. I have Carpenter bees, and now know that I have at least a pair of Tiger Bee Flies. I learned that the TBF females look around for Carpenter bee nests, and deposit their eggs in the front of the tunnels. The Carpenter bee larvae become food for the growing Tiger Bee Flies.

A not uncommon strategy. This wasp doesn't look for tunnels; it just bores into the tree. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/White_Mountains&image=_9110655croof40.jpg>
/Megarhyssa macrurus/ is a species of parasitoid wasp. These insects seek out their hosts - larval horntail wasps - by tapping trees with their antennae until they sense their vibrations and scent. The females then bore into the wood with enormous ovipositors (now thought to be tipped with metals such as zinc!) and then she injects an egg into the larvae. Her offspring will hatch out and consume the body of its host and then use similarly metal-laden mandibles to emerge from the wood. Male M. macrurus are wandering around trees listening as well - they seek out newly emerging females to mate with.

You can see the length of the ovipositor here. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/White_Mountains&image=_9110653cr.jpg>

To What Lengths Moose