Re: [OM] What do you think of slingbags?

Subject: Re: [OM] What do you think of slingbags?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 09:58:26 -0700
> From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>
> Perhaps a slingbag is better. Despite a myriad of choices, never have just
> the right bag.

Y’know, I’ve never felt comfortable with anything but a waist bag for active
shooting. I don’t have to take it off an on; I just slide it around from me bum
to me belly, and then, it doubles as a shelf, for fussing with niggly bits,
like filters and adapters, and for changing lenses without having to find a
clean spot. Then when I’m done, I slide it around to the back, all without
bending over or having to find a clean bit of soggy forest to set it on when I
take it off.

I do use a huge photo backpack (LowePro Trekker AW) for carrying stuff on
longer trips, but only for transportation, and only when I want to bring more
than will fit in a bum bag. Then the waist pack comes along for day trips,
anyway. The big bag is mostly used for hauling stuff from the house to the
studio these days.

After decades of use (and a broken zipper that had to be stapled on one end,
and so only worked from the other end), I retired my LowePro Orion II bum bag
and got it’s latest incarnation, and couldn’t be happier. I can carry six
lenses and an OMD body, including a telescoping extension tube. The new version
opens from the belt side, making in even more useful and secure as a work
surface. And it has more compartments, so I don’t have to listen to my spare
batteries and filters bouncing off my lenses.

Bum bags seem distinctly out-of-style these days, the greatest disadvantage to
the style-challenged (like me) being that there seems to be less choice than
there was a couple decades ago. If they stop making them completely, I’ll have
to cobble together my own some day, I guess.

:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::