[OM] Eyes

Subject: [OM] Eyes
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:57:41 +0100
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tina
I join in sending you best wishes for the anticipated cataract surgery. I have not had the experience myself but saw the difference it made to my wife's sight, (including the much improved capability to read road signs!). As discussed previously on the list, such operations can affect colour vision and, as I understand it, this is because the defective lens acts in some ways like a yellow filter. For many people, I suspect this is only really noticeable if they have two eyes done at intervals of weeks (or more) - certainly in my wife's case she found that during the interval the perceived colour of one particular item of my clothing was markedly different between the two eyes ( blue in one case, and green in the other). You might wish to think in advance about this, Tina, and consider some benchmarks to help judge its potential significance, if any. Another fact which is apparently often not mentioned in advance, is that there is a particular complication which is relatively common (about 10%?) in the weeks following the initial operation but is very easily rectified by a subsequent laser treatment (as discovered by my wife). No doubt your surgeon will know vastly more about these matters than I do.
Brian Gray