Re: [OM] What do you think of slingbags?

Subject: Re: [OM] What do you think of slingbags?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 12:10:57 -0700
On 7/26/2017 9:55 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose Bags wrote:
A sling bag was the worst bag mistake I've made. I did the usual, tried on
and off in the store, visualized using it in the field, and so on, but
apparently sold myself a bad bag of goods. It's the only bag I've gone to
the trouble of selling. All others so far get the benefit of the future use
perfection clause.
I've got a Lowpro Slingshot 300AW that borders somewhere between
sadistic and horror.

Mine was a LowePro Slingshot

But I'm discovering something interesting. It's
really intended to be used with only a single DSLR and two or three
lenses. If you keep things simple in that regard, it actually works
and works pretty well.

Yeah, I can see that. Just didn't work for me.

I've been using it with the 6D (with and
without battery grip), 100-300 Tokina Zoom, 35-80/2.8 zoom and the
24/2.8 and it actually isn't half bad. The L508 and filters go into
the end pocket and my wallet and keys go into the side pocket.

I'm actually likely to start using it a bit more up in Alaska for one
of the go kits.

Where the Slingshot 300AW, and probably every sling bag, goes wrong is
when you are WORKING with two cameras. It's really good with one,
absolutely shameful with two.

Yup, useless, or worse, actually making things harder.

But in all honesty, other than a
backpack or huge shoulder bag, two camera operation is pretty rough
unless you do a Tina and just glue the lenses onto the bodies around
your neck and keep a spare tucked away.

That's what I do, two bodies, short zoom, long zoom. Daylight, that's pretty much all I need; 14-800 mm-e and achromatic C_U lens(s) for close ups. Primes, spares, etc. in a small bag, but seldom used.

All that said, the Panasonic L1 does fit very well inside the above
mentioned kit, in a nice low-down position just in case I need a
backup to the 6D. The E1 and E3 are just too bulky (grip) to do the
same.

For using the OM cameras, the Slingshot is a complete cluster. Forget it.

The old PhotoRunner is fab. One body with three lenses. Separate case/bag for the long one, when needed. I can arrange for one for you, if needed.

Baggy Moose