Re: [OM] IMGS: Cataract Surgery

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Cataract Surgery
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:12:23 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
On 7/25/2017 7:16 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

   < <This is so important for photographers.  We need to be able to focus up
  <<  close and at a distance.

Market forces at work and substantial research by private firms.  Several have
been on the market for several years such as ReSTOR using "apodized
diffraction" and Crystalens that hooks up to the ciliary apparatus and does
require some neuro-adaption to use it right.  The latter had some flare issues
(perhaps due to size) and perhaps 1-2 diopters max of accommodation --and at
least early on some difficulty in predicting even the correction achieved.
There are other even more elegant design ones in various stages of FDA
approval. Some seem to have not made the cut, best I can tell. When I send some
patients with Diabetes to opthal, I sometimes quiz them on how these are
working. They can be  more complex to insert.   They are not picked up by
Medicare.   One has to shell out for the Leica.  I agree with your assessment
about photographers. I trust all will go well.

Accommodation at a cost, Mike