Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US

Subject: Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:35:13 -0400
  I can understand being underwhelmed by a partial solar eclipse. Without
foreknowledge and a solar filter, you probably wouldn't even notice it. A
total eclipse is altogether different. And of course it is all about
totality. There is something about seeing the corona and brighter stars and
planets becoming visible during the day that is a visceral experience. This
will be my third total eclipse. The first in 1970 here in Charleston and a
total annular eclipse in western NY in 1993. I'm already making plans for
the total eclipse in 2024 with 4 1/2 minutes of totality.

Charlie