Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US

Subject: Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:56:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Another method you can employ is to improvise a pinhole camera.  You'll
need two pieces of cardboard, preferably with a bright white side on one of
them, which is placed on the ground as a viewing screen.  Punch a small hole in
the centre of the other.  Hold the piece with the hole over the piece on the
ground and adjust the distance to get a suitable image that is inside the
shadow.  Then photograph the image of the Sun that is projected on the piece on
the ground.

     The modified 60mm refractor I use is similar in concept, but easier to
use.  Plus it gives a sharper image.

>You could try 2 linear polarizers and rotate one of them to cut the light
>down significantly.  You may find the colour balance is a bit off but you
>can always adjust that in post.
>

>>We are slightly off the path of total eclipse but it should be impressive
>>here in York, SC.  I've got glasses and a telescope with a solar filter
>>coming from B&H.  I'm not sure how I'll take photos.  I have lots of dark
>>filters but the actual solar filters are sold out everywhere and way too
>>expensive.  I may just watch.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson