[OM] IMG: Eclipse dry run

Subject: [OM] IMG: Eclipse dry run
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:52:42 -0700
Today I made a solar disc "projector" out of a pair of cheap binoculars, a couple of pieces of cardboard, a tripod and a music stand. All stuff I had lying around the house. This should cover the partial phase of the eclipse next week. I am not going to make any serious effort to photograph totality. I know myself. If I start messing with the camera, I'll miss a good portion of the totality trying to photograph it. I'd rather experience the wonder and look at the photos of better-equipped folks afterwards.

Here's my setup.

Side view:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8140232.jpg.html>
Sun-side view.  You can just see a piece of the solar disc at far right:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8140233.jpg.html>
A better view of the projection. The solar disc is partially "eclipsed" by my neighbor's Douglas Fir tree.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8140234.jpg.html>

--Peter