Re: [OM] 16 hours of driving for 2 minutes of twilight????

Subject: Re: [OM] 16 hours of driving for 2 minutes of twilight????
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:54:05 -0400
  I was extremely lucky here in Charleston, SC. Forecasters were calling
for thunderstorms with 60% chance of cloud cover. I debated driving to the
upstate where the weather would be better but was reluctant to get on the
road. I stayed home and set up my refracting telescope for viewing along
with two sets of binoculars and film glasses for viewing. E-620 with 50-200
zoom for documentation. Neighbors came by so we had a party of about a
dozen. During the run up we had only intermittent thin cloud cover which
posed no problem for viewing but we were surrounded by heavy clouds. Twenty
minutes before totality a thundercloud started passing to the north and my
stomach formed a knot, but we stayed clear through totality until just
after the second diamond ring. After that it was totally obscured. During
the  1 1/2 minutes of totality we had a lightning show just to the north.
It was awesome! This was my third eclipse ( two totals and 1 annular) but I
am not jaded. Already thinking about 2024. Will post images later.

Charlie