Re: [OM] 16 hours of driving for 2 minutes of twilight????

Subject: Re: [OM] 16 hours of driving for 2 minutes of twilight????
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 15:54:35 +0200
<<
One long evening and one long day of driving found me pulled off on a
parking area on I25 south of Douglas, Wy, at 8:30 PM Sunday evening.
I was totally exhausted and spent the night sleeping in the car.
Totality is orders of magnitude above 90%.  I don't have the words
to express it.  The drive was worth it many times over.
Totality Dean

I totally agree.
I have seen the 1999 eclipse in Romania. I started on Monday from Milan
and went to Munich as it was on the totality path. I wake up on Tuesday
with rain, called home where my sister had my laptop with internet
connection and links to weather forecast sites. She verified that
in Germany, Austria and Hungary there was significant probability of
clouds and even rain, and the only region with clear sky was Romania.
So 25 hours before the totality we drove from Munich to Rimnicu Valcea,
where we arrived 2 hours only before the event. I drove the whole time,
except for very short stops to eat, to refuel and on the borders, and
for two hours when at only one hour to the destination an accident
between 3 trucks totally blocked the only possible route. Fortunately
I could arrive on time and enjoyed the eclipse. Then drove home.
Total trip from Monday morning to Thursday evening, only one night in
a "bed" (camping), many cross borders and some thousands of km.
But I would do it again.

Ralf