[OM] Music and paintings, a double pleasure

Subject: [OM] Music and paintings, a double pleasure
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 02:29:05 -0700
After wandering among Native America ruins near Los Alamos, I visited the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe.  It just so happened that cellist Matt Haimovitz, who likes to perform in non-traditional venues, was giving a recital there. He played the Bach Cello Suite No. 5 in C minor.  I spent some time just listening, and some time looking at paintings that provided counterpoint to the music i was hearing.  I took a few pictures, too.

Here is Mr. Haimovitz playing.  He is using an iPad as a music stand. He's playing off a facsimile of the oldest surviving manuscript of the Suite, copied by Bach's wife, Anna Magdelena Bach.  I spoke to him afterwards, and he told me he found that it helped him tune into the composer's intentions. (Click on photo to enlarge).
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/37337644522/in/dateposted-public/>

I liked the composition of his empty cello case sitting in a nook in the gallery.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36658743644/in/dateposted-public/>

And I liked the subtle differences of color in the skylights in an adjacent gallery:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/37337644342/in/dateposted-public/>

After the concert, Mr. Haimovitz talks to a friend before his next gig.  He played at a local brewery later that evening. More power to him!
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/37367555351/in/dateposted-public/>

In addition to Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings, the museum displayed numerous photographs of Ms. O'Keeffe by various photographers, most notably black and whites by her husband, Alfred Stieglitz.

--Peter