Re: [OM] IMG: They're Still Here!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: They're Still Here!
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 15:35:36 -0700
> From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Just wondering, how do Eco and WD-40 mix?

Not very well, at least conceptually. :-(

But workplace law trumps eco, and the University of Victoria employment health
and safety officer came by and said, “Get rid of the bugs!” We would not be
allowed to proceed with decommissioning the greenhouses otherwise.

Actually, WD-40 is fairly innocuous. Running a two-cycle engine puts more
volatile hydrocarbons in the air. A professional exterminator would have used
much worse chemicals.

After evaluating some eco-solutions that proved ineffective, we went with
WD-40, which we were using to loosen stuck bolts, anyway. The result over the
month we were working was less impact than running a chainsaw for several days.

We do not routinely do that on the farm, reserving it for cases where a wasp
nest is immediately adjacent to an intensive work area. We let them nest in the
top of the greenhouse, but not right under the potting tables. :-)