Re: [OM] IMG: Goodyear Blimp

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Goodyear Blimp
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 06:10:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Back around 1978 I was flying a C-130E to Raleigh-Durham, and we passed
right over Dulles International.  I happened to look down as we passed over and
saw one of the Goodyear blimps moored next to a Concorde.  My thought at seeing
that was "I wonder which one of those will become obsolete first?"  Now we know.

>Late today, the airport manager informed me that one of the Goodyear
>Blimps was going to remain overnight at the Tullahoma Airport.  It was
>circling away from the airport, awaiting the arrival of the ground
>crew.   When I arrived at the airport, the blimp was west of the active
>area of the airport.  Camera around my neck, and an extra battery in my
>pocket, I hiked about a half mile across the rough grass and one active
>runway to the area where he was to be tied down.  The crew saw that I
>wanted pictures, and, with time on their hands, they circled and made
>approaches to give me several angles.  My biggest problem was that the
>setting sun was in my face, and I didn't relish hiking another half mile
>to get the sun to my back.  So, what you see is what I was able to get.
>
>This is one of the new Goodyear craft, N1A, and is actually a
>German-made Zeppelin, with some internal structure, not really a blimp,
>but is still classified as a blimp.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson