Re: [OM] Recent review of OMZ 24mm/2.8 on A7 series--Is the latest versi

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent review of OMZ 24mm/2.8 on A7 series--Is the latest version a different optical formula?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:30:21 -0800
I'm not sure what the variation is with the third version. It might just be
ring imprinting. Without looking at mine, I'm not sure if it is a second or
third version. But I've also had a 1st version.

The first version is most certainly more flare-prone and styled after most
of the OM Zuikos of that era and were bloody sharp in the center. My newer
one is still center sharp, but also is sharper in the corners. The contrast
of the later versions is much improved.

What I personally find interesting is how different lenses interact with
different films or sensors. The 24/2.8 is amazing on most films, but
struggles a touch with Provia. On digital, it cuts your eyeballs on the 4/3
cameras but is average on the Canon 6D. The 28/2, on the other hand,
struggles on the 4/3 cameras but is a match made in heaven on the 6D.

The 24/2.8 has such a close rear-exit pupil to the sensor that I suspect
that the angle of incidence is too great for most full-frame sensors, as
well as any film with lateral halation issues like Provia. On the 6D I like
to crop the images a little bit, but with the 28/2, I can stick with the
full edge-to-edge image without compromise.

The rest of his review is pretty solid. I agree that F8 is the sweet spot
with this lens.

AG

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017, Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I see some comments that the 3rd version which is MC but stated as so has
> a different optical formula and may have slightly softer corners.  Is that
> really so?
> Perhaps that was just sample variation.
>

> https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-olympus-om-24mm-28-zuiko-sony-a7ii/
>
> Mike