Re: [OM] Sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Sharpness
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:04:54 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<Each lens would funnel the same number of photons down to each pixel
<<The full frame lens would funnel them down to a slightly wider area, but they
<<would be caught by a slightly wider pixel.

No, I don't agree with that. The FF sensor has 4 times the area and will
gather more photons and have  a better SNR.  For  "fully equivalent" image the
FF will have to be stopped down two more stops with a slower SS.

If this is theoretical physics test and the choices are
A. FF
B. MFT
C. FF=MFT

I would choose A every time.   The answer is obvious if the FF sensor has the
same pixel pitch and thus many more sensels, but that was not the question.
Read noise, quantum efficiency etc will play a role.  Again the FF image does
not need to enlarged as much
for viewing/evaluation size which is often overlooked.

Would recommend printing out the article below on equivalence and reading it
while reclining on a bench with a nice scenic overlook.

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#advantages

Can skip to sensor size effects on IQ to cut to the chase but the whole article
is interesting.

Would review Moose's previous post  to evaluate current  practical state of
affairs for usual viewing sizes on web or even largish prints.

Mike