Re: [OM] Technology Survey

Subject: Re: [OM] Technology Survey
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 17:35:47 -0000
2400baud! Blimey, that were fast, lad!

In my case private-capacity online began in 1986, perhaps a bit before then,
and would have been a bulletin-board type service, possibly Bix, run by Byte
magazine. I even had a packet-switch service to cut down the costs of
downloading, since there were no local access points (dial-up, remember).

Apart from timesharing terminal time in 1979-80, my first work-related online
use would have been in 1984 in connection with the LA Olympics. I was working
for a national newspaper, and our sports correspondents were horrified to
discover that the LAOOC had thought it unnecessary to provide telex facilities
for filing copy. I recall being roped in to roll out an email facility using
Telecom Gold (a bought-in X.400 service) and then to train the journalists to
use it. I think my ID was OBS002 (the IT manager grabbed OBS001)! That used
300/300 baud acoustic couplers, if you remember them.

My first recalled use of t'Internet itself was to get details of the Kobe
earthquake in January 1995 (I had acquired a Demon Internet account the year
before), but I suspect it did not involve use of the Web - maybe Veronica and
Gopher? Bet you don't remember them!

Piers