Re: [OM] Technology Survey

Subject: Re: [OM] Technology Survey
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 18:50:47 +0000
I found some of the questions to be amusing, also. But then I've been
involved in networking since 1979, so I'm not exactly the average older
person either. I'm always happy to help research where I can, however, it's
usually fun and not a burden on a retired person's spare time. :-)

ChrisB the questions really aren't aimed at the USA at all. Pretty generic
stuff about use and attitudes, and at the end they ask what country you
reside in.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 11:41 AM SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IIRC I joined the computer club at school in the first year of high
> school which would make it 1972 when I first used an acoustic coupler
> within a wooden box that had a broken clip (any coughs played havoc with
> the connection) to connect a teletype (no screen) to a pdp11 - the first
> internet access was with cix (compulink) also around 86, however as an
> apprentice in '81 I worked with 300/75 baud modems which were definitely
> not portable, the tester was a beast of a kit in a large heavy wooden box.
>
> BTW I recently watch a show about BT (Post Office) in the UK where they
> were looking at phones and the subject of why 999 was chosen came up -
> the BT expert/presenter said that probably no one knew why that was
> chosen, well I remember being told as an apprentice that it could not be
> no 1 as that might not be picked up correctly in the exchange (strowger)
> and that 9 was the easiet number to locate in the dark/smoke on a dial
> phone - just feel for the finger gaurd and go up a bit around the dial
> until the first hole- of course once you have got that sorted, repeating
> the number is easier than switching to another hence 999
>
> been a bit quiet of late photography wise - got made redundant as of
> next May and then rehired and promoted (verbally agreed but I am waiting
> to see contract) - its a funny old world we live in.
>

> IanW
>
> On 02.11.17 18:49, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> > Outside of work use of acoustic coupled TI Silent 700 )?) Compuserve was
> my
> > intro to t’internet before we had the Web.
> >
> > On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 at 17:36, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> 2400baud! Blimey, that were fast, lad!
> >>
> >> In my case private-capacity online began in 1986, perhaps a bit before
> >> then, and would have been a bulletin-board type service, possibly Bix,
> run
> >> by Byte magazine. I even had a packet-switch service to cut down the
> costs
> >> of downloading, since there were no local access points (dial-up,
> remember).
> >>
> >> Apart from timesharing terminal time in 1979-80, my first work-related
> >> online use wo
>
> --
>
> --
---