Re: [OM] OT:Technology Survey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:Technology Survey
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:11:15 -0000
GEISCO, yes, we used the timesharing service to produce daily production
stats, would have been 1979-80. I even remember the userid was MEM76353. But
no acoustic couplers - it needed a dedicated dialup line, with a normal
looking telephone save for an extra button on top - create the datafile (on
a keyboard with printer), dial up the access number, hear the warble, press
the telephone button, all done. Then walk down the road to the building with
the IT department, log on to the PDP11, do an rje to get the printout. Load
the line printer with multipart paper, don earmuffs, run the printjob. Then
spend the next 30 minutes splitting out the copies from the carbon paper - I
can still smell the paper!

Piers