Re: [OM] Falling Water Creek - Freezing

Subject: Re: [OM] Falling Water Creek - Freezing
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 09:28:59 -0900
JDubs wrote:

> The blue color really makes the scene for me.

Thank you. Me too. The coloring of the melt-water is a little
different. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to capture it very
well because the Canon sensor just barely is able to "see" it when the
sun isn't shining. The Olympus/Panasonic cameras definitely do better
in this regard. In order to get and preserve the colors, it's a
two-step process involving both Lightroom and Color Efx Pro. One to
get the colors, the other to correct the colors. If you apply
white-balance correction too soon in the process, the water turns gray
with no chance to get any blues.

Essentially, you apply all your saturations and levels to the image in
Lightroom and then go to Color Efx Pro to remove color cast and do the
white neutralization. That will clean up the snow and fix the
white-balance but will leave the water color intact. I shot about a
hundred pictures at the stream. To give you an idea of how sensitive
everything is, my processing for this specific shot only works on
maybe a half-dozen shots. It's so brittle that an adjustment of a
lightroom slider by just 1% will ruin it. There area a couple other
pictures where I liked the framing a whole lot more, but I can't get
the colors right. More often than not, whenever you see one of my
pictures with blue water, it's been only possible through
localized/spot adjustments.

> Were you out with the 28/2 solo or were you flipping primes?  If the
> latter, I'd like to know what gloves you use or how you're keeping you
> hands warm enough to function!

I'm flipping primes a lot. While the 28/2 is getting the bulk of the
love these days, the others are earning their keep. As to gloves, I
have a pair of thin shooter gloves from Cabellas or Bass Pro Shops
that have the rubber grippy surface on the palm side of the gloves and
standard lycra on the back side. There is a place on the back for
inserting chemical hand warmers, but I've never done that yet. These
gloves aren't exactly warm, but they are better than bare hands. And
best of all, they are very thin and give good grip and tactical
sensitivity for controlling the buttons on the cameras.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx