[OM] Nathan's PAD 12/11/2017: wine, 2500 years ago and now

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/11/2017: wine, 2500 years ago and now
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:00:29 +0100
On Sunday we had a day-long excursion with the wine club, centred around a
visit to the winery called Celler del Roure in the inland mountain municipality
called Moixent, around 100 km from Alicante. It was the first time I visited
this area. In addition to the bodega visit, we also visited an archeological
site where a town built by the Iberians about 400 years before the Romans
arrived is being excavated. The guide was excellent, she really made the
history come alive.

Three images, all related to wine.

The Iberian town:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9bVH9Ts/A

The view of the valley below. Just as was the case 2500 years ago, grapes are
grown in the valley. The spot from where I took the picture is in the Valencia
region (Comunidad Valenciana). On the other side of the valley is Castilla la
Mancha, where Don Quijote fought against the windmills—and notice the modern
windmills there:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-nMkkd2P/A

And finally, the wine maker of today, a member of the family that owns Celler
del Roure, talking about his wines:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3Q7XzHW/A

As can be seen on the board behind him, the prices are very reasonable (the
first figure is per bottle, the second per 6-bottle case). Since the wine was
good, I did not leave empty-handed. And it was a pleasure to buy wine with a
sense of history.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman