Re: [OM] Affinity Photo anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] Affinity Photo anyone?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 20:11:06 -0800
On 11/23/2017 12:18 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
I'm considering it as a PS replacement. I already use DxO for a RAW developer.

Then you are already on a subscription plan. My recent $69 for the DxO PhotoLab into which it has morphed is only the latest in a series of upgrades I've paid for. Every full number upgrade has a $ cost. I'm not complaining, mind you, just pointing it out, and hoping it will soon buy me a lens profile for the Laowa 7.5/2.0.

What will Affinity do, when the income stream isn't enough, they've spent a lot on making it better and they would all like to stay employed?

DL&C finally threw in that towel, moving PWP, AG's old fav, into freeware. You
might look at that.

Tried ON1 but not there yet.

Yeah, I tried it, but declined to enter their upgrade/"subscription" treadmill. They too wanted an upgrade price. It seems their business model is mostly built around selling "look" presets and textures and training to use them. I'm not interested in that way of working.

I have an old version of CaptureOne. But none of these fill the PS void completely. I have no use for the subscription as I'm not a Lightroom fan. GUI never clicked for me.

When they started the subscription plan, I considered LR to be an unwanted freebie, and PS to be worth the price. I'm afraid to try to figure out how many hours I spend using PS, but I'm sure it costs me only pennies an hour.

Digikam for a DAM works.

As it turns out, I'm using the DAM part of LR a lot. The Map function is priceless for me; finally a practical payoff for geocoding all those images for years!

It turns out that it also allows me to keep track of the actual "shots" I've taken, by counting focus stacks as one shot. I still don't use it for image editing, and find it hard to imagine what would change my mind. I've tried it - I don't like it - it doesn't do what I want.

So any comments from users of Affinity Photo? @$50 it looks like a good deal.

I'm curious, as they claim to do real layers, and read/write PSD files. They also claim great selection tools and other goodies. I wonder why they aren't offering free trial periods, so one could find out.

A free trial may be in order - offered WaaaaY down at the bottom of the page. Only 10 days, but that should be enough if started at the right time.

The thing you never know until you try them is how fast, or not, they may be,
or how well thy do all that cool stuff.

Free the Moose