Re: [OM] The closing of Fort Wayne's Last Camera Store

Subject: Re: [OM] The closing of Fort Wayne's Last Camera Store
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 13:15:33 -0500 (EST)
It's sad but it's the store owners fault and the manufacturer's fault and its
also our fault. Like many of us, as I advanced in photography, most of the
local stores became wedded to the beginner trade and didn't stock anything but
the very bottom line cameras and lenses, and the staff were not familiar with,
well, photography. I know the owner of one of the last remaining cameras atores
here, and he can tell many tales of how he can't carry certain brands because
the companies require a buy-in that would make B&H pale.

And most of us have abandoned our local stores far too early. Maybe if I had
gone in and pointed out that I wanted certain film stocks (name a local camera
store that stocks Agfa Ultra 50. It was hard enough to find plus-x in 35, and
PX 120?) or filters that wern't made of old whisky bottle bottoms, or bags that
were well made...

Aw, hell, it's the 21st century. I'm getting on with it.