Re: [OM] Converters Are Us

Subject: Re: [OM] Converters Are Us
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 09:52:24 -0900
Capture One has a feature that I discovered to be the missing link
with Lightroom. Hopefully, somebody can guide me on how to pull off
the same trick in Lightroom.

Capture One has four different adjustments for white balance. Like
every other converter, you have the overall white-balance adjustment.
But it also has a white-balance adjustment for highlights, mid-tones,
and the shadows. In the case of the Canon 6D, one of the big problems
is the blue color-cast in the shadows. If you try to warm the picture
up so the shadows are neutral, the highlights go Trump Orange. Any
attempt at color balancing requires external processing and masks.

I did experiment with the split-toning feature of Lightroom and it
helps a bit, but the cross-over point is rather crude. I see some
potential, though. It might be what I have to use.

As to SILKYPIX, it pretty well trashed the highlights in the Canon
files in a way that make it look as though you shredded a pair of old
sneakers in a cheese grater.

AG Schnozz